Thursday, February 22, 2007

Lady A.'s Wisdom

I can tell that
She used to walk.
Perhaps it was an accident,
Or perhaps like many with Spina Bifida,
She walked with braces as a youth,
But as time when on it became
Too painful.
I know this because her legs
Give it away--
Too long to have spent life in a wheelchair,
Yet too short to indicate
That she walked until recently.

As I assist her
She looks me in the eyes and says,

"You are so blest,
To be able to experience life both walking and in a wheelchair...to do both."

I reply, "Thank you, and I try to count my blessings...I look at what you and Lady B. have to face, and I don't know how you do it. Though sometimes it gets hard to keep perspective, dealing with people's confusion at what I can or cannot do."

She said more, though, in fewer words,
And I, unable to answer her wisdom
forged through a challenging life
Faced with humor and strength
Feel fortunate
To be a mudskipper,
And to have a confusing future
Not knowing myself
What I can and cannot do,
But I feel more fotunate still
to have had the chance
To hear her wisdom

and to Let it
warm my heart.

I quietly thank the powers above
For the experiences I used to despise
And that I can expereince life,
As she put it,
From both sides.

I have been giving a blessing,
And a gift which I must
Humbly use
To teach me not to condescend others
To teach me that the human spirit
Is stronger than physical weakness
To help me to make the world
A bit better for all I meet.

I walk, I wheel, I am blessed.
Thank you,
Lady A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home