Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Playing with Dirt!

Tonight was fun!

I am trying to branch out. I signed up for a pottery class, with the local parks system. I had done some pottery while in college, and, while I am certainly no sculpture, there is something so satisfying and soothing about working with clay.

I hitched a ride with my Mom who takes a painting class down the hall in the same buildling at the same time. I was impressed with how nice the sudio is. I was a little nervous going in there as anyone is with something new, walking into a room full of new people in a new place, but I am so glad I went!

Its been so long since I really worked with my hands, but this week has been good for it. Between scrap booking a bit one evening, and now starting pottery, it feels good to create stuff, even if it is a very, VERY functional mug. ;)

Clay is fun because it is something most of us played with a bit as kids. As an adult, its so different from the day to day things we use our hands for--typing, working, cleaning...Heck, its a good workout for your paws, too! A different tacticle experience.....so often everything we touch (at least in suburbia, USA) is just plastic, already formed, lifeless, and usually sprayed with some antibacterial something these days. Then there's clay. It's dirt. It's wonderful, mushy, and malliable. I haven't picked up a chunk of it in YEARS, and sitting there today making a little bowl, a clunky mug, and some kind of dish that I'm not yet sure quite what is going on with yet, I just couldn't get over how different it feels than the things we usually hold and touch. Dirt is still fun!! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home